It is Wedding season so we’ve been blogging about wedding planning, wedding colors, and wedding invitations. You may not be planning a wedding but if you are attending one this summer, do you know what to wear to a wedding?
Many invitations will specify attire but if it’s not specified on the invitation look at the time of day, location, and the formality of the invitation as a guide. Keep reading for our tips on what to wear to a wedding.
INVITATION SPECIFIES ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:
“Black Tie, Black Tie Preferred, Black Tie Invited or Black Tie Optional”:
• Men should rent and wear a tux if possible. If a tux is not accessible, men should wear a very dark suit with a white shirt and black tie.
• Women should wear a formal dress, usually to the floor. Accessories include beaded bags, fancy wraps, formal jewelry, and maybe gloves.
“Formal or Cocktail Attire”:
• Men should wear a Dark suit and a tie, day or evening.
• Women should wear a long or short cocktail dress that could include beading, formal jewelry & a wrap.
• Men should wear a suit – light colored for day, dark suit with a tie if evening.
• Women could wear a cocktail dress or a skirt and top.
• Men should wear a dress shirt and pants, possibly a Blazer/sports jacket for day and a suit for an evening wedding.
• Women should wear a summer sundress, skirt, or pants with a nice blouse; everyday jewelry and accessories.
*** Jeans, shorts and tank tops are not recommended.
• Men should wear a summer suite and sandals.
• Women could wear a more formal summer sundress with flat sandals.
***Men and Women should assume an elegant beach wedding and dress to impress but be mindful of the sun, sand and water.
INVITATION DOES NOT SPECIFY ATTIRE:
Daytime Wedding – Morning or Afternoon:
• Men should not wear a tuxedo during the day time, regardless of the formality of the event. A light colored suit for summer or if it is winter, slacks with a shirt & tie under a sweater. Dress it up more with a Blazer.
• Women could wear a fun floral dress, a skirt and sweater set or even a light colored suit. Business attire is also okay for this type of setting. Hats or gloves are optional if it’s on wedding is on the formal side. No black or sequins during the day time.
• Men cannot go wrong wearing a dark suit with a tie.
• Women cannot go wrong with a little black dress. But, women have a lot of options with color of dresses and even a dressy suit. Stick to a sophisticated look and avoid too many sequins or beads. Carry a small evening bag rather than a purse.
Whatever you wear, keep in mind that your attire reflects your respect for the Bride and Groom and you can rarely be over dressed. Please don’t show up in jeans, anything too sexy or revealing, or anything torn or with holes. And it’s probably a good idea to avoid wearing all white no matter what trendy fashion magazines may advise.