How do you restore the whiteness to your favorite T-shirt, blouse or dress shirt?
If your whites are looking more gray than you would like, here are some tips you can follow to remove soil buildup and restore whiteness to your washable items:
- Use the hottest temperature of water acceptable for the fabric.
- Add one to two cups of water conditioner.
- Add 1/3 Cup of white vinegar to the wash. You could let it soak 20-30 minutes before washing.
- Consider optical brighteners, also called “bluing” agents like Mrs. Stewart’s Liquid Bluing. These products add a trace of blue to yellowed or dingy whites. Be sure to follow the directions.
- Try lemon juice, a natural bleaching agent. Use hottest water safe for the fabric, and mix 1/2 cup of lemon juice. Soak overnight and launder as usual the next day.
How long do your whites stay white, before they start to turn yellow or grey? Which of these tips will you try first?